Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I Finally Ran From Naperville

I have not been writing as much as I should have since I set the goal to run the Chicago Marathon. I had no idea that making the transition from running inside to running outdoors would be so difficult. I am a rock star lapping seniors in a controlled environment but put me in the elements with the wind blowing in my face I am reduced to a snail's pace.


It's a straight shot from downtown Naperville to my subdivision. We had dinner there a few weeks ago and it struck me that I needed to conquer that journey. I could only do one way to start so I figured I could take the train one stop, walk to the main strip and just run home. My son Julian, new to running got the jump on me and did it last week so I had to crap or get off the pot, pardon my French.


I had to mentally prepare myself so I started my run like I normally do I put on BeBe & CeCe Winans' Count It All Joy, I turned the task over to God. My running has nothing to do with me, it is all God. I have not exercised since I graduated from high school so the fact I can run without breaking a hip is all divine. I called out for his strength because this trip required a co-pilot. People that don't believe in God are runners but for me the Holy Spirit speaks to me through my iPod. I have many examples but my favorite story is when I got up to run one Saturday morning last October, after about 4 hours of sleep and no breakfast, I was dragging around the track like a slug. I had just about a 1/2 mile to go to reach my goal but I had nothing left. I called out right there on the track and asked for help. My iPod was on shuffle and the next song was one of my favorite gospel songs, the live, long, drawn out version, that church was happy and no one wanted the song to end, it was just what I needed. When my iPod Plus told me I reached my goal I kept running until the song ended. I went from the person afraid to have people looking at me while I run to the person that will raise my hands as I praise God whenever the spirit moves me.

I felt good the first block, I owned that strip. I carried my iPod to calculate my run but I listened to talk radio as a distraction. Cisco Cotto of WLS 890AM is my new favorite host, a conservative Christian that is fired up. I got wrapped up in the conversation and the time flew by. By the second mile I was negotiating that if I made it to the Naperville/Lisle border and quit that was good enough but when I passed the Eagle (I know it is now a Butera but I am old and hate change) I felt pretty good. When I got to the border I forgot about my deal. I pledged to stop when I heard Rush's voice at 11:09 am or when I hit my front door.

I made it to Jewel, that hill almost did me in but I kept running. Once I entered my subdivision I was relieved. I made it to my door in about 55minutes. I always cool down by walking and listening to my two victory songs so I went around the block and the songs ended just as I made it up my drive-way.

No comments:

Post a Comment