Monday, March 1, 2010

Why I Ran For An Hour?

Some months ago a friend confided in me that she was battling a condition that would eventually make her life a physical challenge. I assumed that she discovered the problem early on so that it would be years before she would have to "go public". The other day she was forced to share what is going on because her body betrayed her, so she said out loud to the group what her issue is. She is a very supportive mom to her busy kids and a few years ago she started exercising and looks great. I loved hearing about how many laps she could do during a workout, I can't get my face wet.

I went to the gym and decided that I needed to run for 60 minutes straight. It had been months since I pushed myself that hard. How can I run for two and a half in less than 3 months if I can't last 60 minutes? I thought of my friend who has added to her workout routine in an attempt to delay the effects of her condition. I realized there was nothing physically preventing me from running more than my normal 30 minutes. I joke that I am not athletic and how I never worked up a sweat until I decided to start running last summer, my friend actually looks for workouts that make her sweat. It is not fair that I sit and make excuses while others in the world have the drive but not the ability. Four days ago I ran for an hour, I felt a little achy the next day but today I walked 15 minutes and ran 30 minutes, no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment